Why McLanahan Rotary Trommels
McLanahan manufacturing techniques guarantee that Rotary Trommel Screens are simple to operate. The design is also intended to be safer for operators. Specially designed safety features include sectionalized cylinder covers with inspection doors, an optional mast system to remove screen panels, optional inching drives, and a cylinder jacking and brake system for maintenance periods.
To serve many industries and applications, McLanahan Rotary Trommel Screens are offered with various types of screen media that have a variety of aperture sizes depending on the application requirement. For units that are larger than 10' (3m) in diameter, McLanahan performs a finite element analysis of a unit prior to manufacturing to ensure the optimal design strength.
How Rotary Trommels Work
As the cylindrical drum of a Rotary Trommel Screen rotates, raw feed material is lifted on shelves until it nears the top of the drum. Material then falls, tumbling onto other material at the bottom of the drum. This action helps to break down softer fractions, as well as separate different types of materials. As the tumbling continues, smaller size fractions filter through holes in the screen plating, while larger material continues along the length of the cylinder to discharge at the end.
Popular Applications for Rotary Trommels
The tumbling action of the Rotary Trommel allows accurate sizing and separation that is beneficial for a variety of customers, including those looking to upgrade metallics after mass-burn solid waste incineration, to reclaim wood chips in sewage sludge composting, for accurate size separation of difficult-to-screen materials in municipal solids waste and resource recovery, and to separate and wash ores, rock and other fine materials.
Benefits of McLanahan Rotary Trommels
- Proficient in both wet and dry applications
- Cylinder consists of concentric solid steel end sections and screening sections that, depending on the duty of service, are of a 1) spiral design 2) connecting beam styles either type with bolt-on screen media that includes a) polyurethane b) rubber c) punch steel plate d) wire cloth
- Cylinder turns on three- or four-point support suspension systems
- Perfectly concentric cylinders, eliminating vibration or wobble
- Cylindrical drums driven by either a chain and sprocket, a gear and pinion, a hydraulic or a friction type drive
- Available in a variety of diameters and lengths. Sizes range from 1.5m (5’) diameter x 3m (10') long to 4.8m(16') diameter x 18m (60’ ft) long
- Renewable, high Brinnel steel tires protect cylinder and rollers
- Trunnion roller base leveling pads assure trunnion roller shafts are parallel and square
- Trunnion roll base bearing pads are machined to provide true roller alignment
- Rotary Trommel Screens designed by McLanahan are proven to have operational service life up to 70 years
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost?
Contact McLanahan or your nearest authorized local dealer not only for pricing but for discussions on suitability and use for your application.
What are some key application questions I should have answers for regarding my problem?
You should know your feed material bulk density, the material particle size feed distribution, the tons per hour feed solids capacity, a process flow diagram showing equipment location of required unit in your processing plant, the separation or cut point(s) and the moisture content.
What are some key options to consider?
The type of screen media, protective safety covers and a full length spray bar are all options to consider.